Monday, April 25, 2011

How to make an icon

Today I spent a short time creating an icon for use in another project, but what I learned will probably also be applied to future pygauntlet icons. The first thing I did was find an image that I wanted to use as a basis for the icon from the web. I opened the image in the GIMP to scale and crop the image down to a square size (ideal for icons). Then I opened the square image in Inkscape to begin tracing it. I traced the lines in the original image that I wanted to use in my icon, then I copied those to a fresh Inkscape file to not have to deal with the original image. Once that is done, you can fill in the lines with colors, and save the file as a .svg, which is the default file type for saving from Inkscape. The final step uses a magic website called iConvert. Just upload the svg and then click the download buttons for the ico, icns and png files for windows, mac and linux icons.

No comments:

Post a Comment