Thursday, March 10, 2011

Source Code Management

Pygauntlet currently uses, and has always used Subversion for managing the source code. The reason we started in svn is because that's the tool that UCR made available to us for the software engineering course. Since I knew how to use svn, when I made the effort to make the project open source and move to google code for hosting, I chose svn for source code management. I have had a tiny bit of experience in using CVS and even RCS as well as the occasional check out of other projects using Mercurial (hg) and git. Unless I have a very strong argument presented to me, I will probably not move pygauntlet to any other source code management tool.

However, Richard Fine just made a blog post about explaining his reasons for moving to git for his SCM. He makes some good points about why svn is not always useful, but I believe it to be plenty good for what we're doing with pygauntlet. There still isn't any better way to manage source code and art/music assets with one tool. However, it is good to know that there are other options out there and that those options are improving. I may try using git for my next project, but if that fails, I'll probably just fall back on svn, because I know how it works and I know that there is lots of help out there on getting it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment